16-20 Interesting Facts About Lottery
16. Evelyn Adams won the New Jersey lottery twice, in 1985 and 1986. She won about $5.4 million total. She spent it all on gambling in nearby Atlantic City. A little over 20 years later, she found herself broke and living in a less-than-lavish trailer park.
17. Prior to 1989, Willie Hurt was a happily married family man who was fairly well known in his community. But all that changed when he won $3.1 million in the Michigan Lottery. Within two years, Hurt separated from his wife, lost custody of his children, blew through his fortune, and was charged with attempted murder.
18. Ren Xiaofeng, a manager of The Agricultural Bank of China, stole $26,000 from the bank with the intention of buying lottery tickets, winning, and repaying the initial theft. Against the odds, it worked so he tried again with $6.7 million. He lost all but $95,000 and was sentenced to death.
19. In 2005, a woman bought a winning lottery ticket with her dead mother-in-law’s credit card. The police claimed it was obtained by illegal means and kept the $1M jackpot for themselves.
20. In USA, households earning under $13,000 per year spend about 9 percent of their income on lottery tickets.